Correspondence

To correspond with Elder Merrill you can email him at tanner.merrill@myldsmail.net he may not be able to email you back but he can write to you and he loves the letters.

Monday, February 24, 2014

February 10, 2014


Family,

Another week down, something like 60 left.  I’m glad you liked the photos.

I’m better at smiling now, somewhat unfortunately, I’ve forgotten how to make the mean "default" face I used to make back home.  Wearing a badge with Jesus's name on it means you have to look happy or at least content all the time.

I’m doing well, this week better than last, or the one before that, working on a few things.  I’m getting on pretty well with everyone in the branch, so that’s good as well.

Great to hear all of those wonderful people were asking about me, I miss our Ward, it’s a great Ward. Tell everyone I said hello and thanks for everything.  How’s Mark Wilson? Or Bro Johnson? Bro Karen?  Those are some good guys I think about here and there, the influence of a GOOD young men’s leader sticks with the young man his whole life, that’s one thing I’ve learned and taken note of. 

Like I said the time in Perth hasn’t been a cake walk. I felt a little discouraged and decided that my faith wasn’t really where it should be. I was talking to people hoping they would accept the message but not having much faith that they would, and it was hampering the spirits ability to do anything. I recognized this after praying about my problem, and was led to a talk about Faith in Christ, which lifted my spirits on the subject.  I spent the last week evaluating my diligence and dedication and recommisioned myself to the work, twice as obedient, twice as diligent and prayed for faith. I’m doing much better, and I’m twice as happy. I haven’t lacked in work or effort or obedience or anything, I’ve just tried to reevaluate the reason and purpose for why I’m sacrificing and serving a mission.  Through a lot of prayer and studies, my faith and knowledge is increasing and I’m definitely getting closer to the Savior. 

I definitely have a testimony that you’re happier as you work harder.  Hard work and happiness are directly related. I’m doing well, happy, working harder than ever because im more driven than ever.  I’m running on all cylinders, full steam ahead, I feel a greater desire and enthusiasm for the work.  It’s come as I’ve compared my desires with the questions and comments made by former high judge Alma in chapter 5 of his book, and reevaluating myself. 

I’m focusing on studying the Atonement, a fascinating subject.  It seems to me because of the importance and subjectual centrality of the topic of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, the spirit is eager and therefore quick to manifest and testify of truths concerning it. It’s a quick way to feel the spirit, reading about Christ and trying to imagine him, physically doing the things he did, with a human body, feeling all the pains that we feel.  I think we forget, and I’m guilty of forgetting, that the Savior was not immune to pain or fear.  LUKE 22 describes Jesus's fear and sorrow as he anticipated what he knew was going to be very hard, and described it as the bitter cup. Amazing subject, endless study opportunities. 

In the bible, the word Atonement is mentioned 1 time. In the Book of Mormon, 36.  That’s why the spirit testifies so intensely of the Book of Mormon, it’s a cover to cover testimony of the Savior. 

……. is learning, still progressing.  We invited her to be baptized, she said she wants to be baptized, but wants to learn more and become more comfortable with the spirit, for being so young, she is very mature and smart, and we agreed to help her to read and learn the Gospel until she decides that she is ready for baptism.

Thanks for everything, I love you so much. I hope the work at home is going well.

Sounds like a great book Mom, if you think about it, in John 4:14, Jesus describes the importance of taking into our minds only good things when he says, he who drinketh of the waters which I have to offer him will never thirst, (I’m paraphrasing), but it’s what we "drink of" that determines our thoughts and actions quite a lot, so we need to ask ourselves, what are we drinking from, is the fountain of living waters that Jesus spoke about?  Is it too much TV, Xbox, or facebook?  It’s a good thought.

Have a great week, Love you. Your son,

Elder Merrill

No comments:

Post a Comment