Correspondence

To correspond with Elder Merrill you can email him at tanner.merrill@myldsmail.net he may not be able to email you back but he can write to you and he loves the letters.

Monday, August 12, 2013


Dear Family,

Good morning from the Highlands.  Oban is incredible, and so beautiful.  It is the most beautiful wee town in the world.  It’s amazing up here.  This is the Scotland I dreamed of coming to before my mission.  You will see castles on every corner, standing stone circles everywhere and island after island.  My zone leader advised me to buy a satellite navigator, so I did so, and I’m glad  because navigating here would be so difficult.  Even with the guidance of satellites, we still managed to take an accidental detour, but after a while, we were grateful we did.  On the way to Oban from Glasgow, which is now my Zone headquarters, we passed up into the Highlands, and the whole scenery changed.  Beautiful rolling hills turned into towering mountains and mighty glens.  This place is like nothing else on the Earth.  We went through Glencoe, Rannoch Moor, and along Lochs of Leven, Linnhe, and many more.  This is God's country.  Oban itself is a tiny seaside town, with tons of yachts, islands and wildlife about.  The isle of Kerrera is right off the bay, and it is a pretty cool view.  My companion is Elder Stuart Urbieta.  He is from Ohio and no he doesn’t speak spanish or even have an accent.  He is a boxer and fitness fellow, as well as a future Marine.  And yes, we get along just great.  We will help each other grow as we work on the task at hand in Oban.  The Branch here is the smallest in the UK, with 8 or 9 at church on a good day.  We meet around a table in a high school, but although we are small, church lasted almost 4 hours comfortably, due to how enthusiastic everybody is about the lesson, it just went on and on and it was great.  We do lots and lots of finding, including talking with people on the street and chapping.  Its hard work, but whitewashing always is.  Missionaries haven’t been in the Highlands for 15 years, (mom ignore this next part and have dad read it to himself ha-ha).  I heard from a member, Missionaries were taken out back then because of violence against them and their flat being raided.  Great stuff ha-ha but we are not worried in the slightest, so don’t fret.  Could just be a story, but I wouldn’t doubt it.  Seriously mom, don’t worry. 
I love it here, we are expecting miracles, and we’re obedient as can be so the Lord will bless us.  Tomorrow we drive down to Glasgow for Zone meeting, I’m excited for this drive but it’s over 100 miles and 2 hours.  We are as happy as can be in Oban, and are enthusiastically working to ensure the prepared are met and are invited to come unto Christ.  This is Oban’s time, and I feel so blessed to be leading such an important area.  

 I love you all and miss you every day, I’ll send some photos.  Take care and pray always. Do it!

Elder Merrill 

Oh yea, Angela should get baptized this Saturday.  Pray for her! 
Also, I met Steven (Elder Mckechnie) in Taynuilt the other day.  Great guy, really small world.
My new address is:  36B Soroba Road,  Oban, Argyll  PA34 4HY. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment