Correspondence

To correspond with Elder Merrill you can email him at tanner.merrill@myldsmail.net he may not be able to email you back but he can write to you and he loves the letters.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Dec 2, 2013


Ireland feels so detached from the rest of the mission I would prefer to stay in Scotland most of the time.  Ireland is split; it started with the whole Catholic Protestant thing.  Northern Ireland belongs to GB, and the south or majority of Ireland is the Republic, still a part of Ireland and we can roam freely in between both, but it is very hostile and Belfast is especially dangerous.  The missionaries in Belfast are under alert all the time.  I’d love to serve up north, I think I will. 

I’m glad to hear the other ward missionaries are doing so well.

To answer your question if I play the piano, I don’t really have much opportunity to play the piano, even though I have had that chance here and there and it’s been great.  I focus a lot on the guitar and can play the instrument fluently.  I still can’t read but I haven’t ever been the kind to do things the conventional way.  I’m so so so happy I didn’t sell my guitar that you got me, I will be able to use it now ahah thanks for buying me that by the way, I know I didn’t touch it much at home, I feel bad about that sometimes. Oh well, I’ll try again when I get the chance, when I’m home.

Living in a big ward is so different from the previous transfers of my mission, but it’s good in many ways.  Obviously the support is better and our ward is great for missionary work, but there is simply something about a small branch that I miss.  There is a specific closeness and uniqueness to the work, but you’re 5 times more likely to have success in a Ward than in a Branch. I miss a branch, but the ward is better for missionary work. 

To Dad: Read any interesting books lately? What are you reading now? I’ve seen lots of cool books since I’ve become more interested in Doctrine and such.  Dad, I’ve changed loads, we can actually talk about church when I get back.  I always knew it was true; I just didn’t care too much.  It sufficeth me to say, I do now.   Thanks for everything; you’re the best father I could have asked for.  I must have done something right in the schools of the pre mortal existence to fall into our family.  I Thank God every day.

To Mom: Thanks for the cookie recipe.  When I get the stuff, I will be sure to try it.  The package made it to Ireland over a week ago, they just are super dumb in the DHL here, and so I have to work for it.  No worries, I will get it and let you know how the cookies are.  Thanks in advance for everything; you are the best mom in the World.  I love you, I’m doing great and life in Ireland is very rewarding and cold. 

To his Sis: Missionary work is hard work, but I’m loving it and there really isn’t anything to complain about. I hope above all things that I can be a good example and influence to you and Evan, it’s one of the biggest reasons that I came out here in the first place. I know everything I do reflects my dedication to the righteous cause of building the Lord's Kingdom on this Earth.  I love you and I thank you, the most important thing to me above all things is that my family and I make the right decisions to endure to the end so that not one of us is missing in the Celestial Kingdom, my goal is to make sure everybody is there! I do my best, as you stay on the straight and narrow path; you will never fail and will never be alone.  Read 3 Nephi 31, great chapter.
Miss you loads, drive safe, have a perfect week.

To Evan: Glad to hear your working on being respectful to mom and dad, it’s a commandment after all. It can be hard to get into the habit of reading scriptures and prayer, I know trust me it was difficult at first, but I love it now and honestly it’s great, gives me identity that I didn’t have before, so I’m grateful for that
I love ya buddy, have a great week. Wreck shop.

Miss you all, it was cooler than ever to see you all at the SLC temple, great and historic landmark that it is, I’ve learned so much about the temples and the history of the church that it’s changed my thoughts on a lot of things.  Can’t wait to see it again.  Till then, take care and have a fantastic week!
Elder Merrrill
Ps. I get to see you in 23 days!

 nt thing.  Northern Ireland, belongs to GB, and the south or majority of Ireland is the Republic, still a part of Ireland and we can roam freely inbetween both, but it is very hostile and Belfast is especially dangerous.  IED's and shootings were very common in the past couple decades, its calmed down, but still very dangerous. THe missionaries in Belfast are under alert all the time. Most Irish hate the british and even the Irish in the North, its pretty messed up, if you walked down a certain street in any city in Scotland Ireland with a Union Jack shirt or anything british you would simply not make it out alive.  True story. Id love to serve up north, I think I will. 

Im glad to hear the other ward missionaries are doing so well, the alpine mission is at least a very difficult mission, so props to him for his success. I know lots of Cooks, cant think of specifics.  Im not too big of a fan of one of my ZLs at the moment, one is great, the other is arrogant.  I respect him and there istn any problems between us, he is just prideful and shouldnt be ZL.  Did you ever serve as Zone Leader?  It takes the fun right out of missionary work haha I will probably end up serving as one soon enough but I wouldnt mind if I didnt.

I dont really have much opportunity to play the piano, even though I have had that chance here and there and its been great.  I focus a lot on the guitar and can fluentely play the instrument, still cant read but I havent ever been the kind to do things the conventional way.  Im so so so happy I didnt sell my guitar that you got me, I will be able to use it now ahah thaanks for buying me that by the way, I know I didnt touch it much at home, I feel bad about that sometimes. oh well, Ill try again when I get the chance, when Im home. sorry.


Living in a big ward is so so different from the previous transfers of my mission, but its good in many ways.  Obviuosly the support is better and our ward is great for missionary work, but there is simply something about a small branch that I miss and honestly prefer.  there is a specific closeness and uniqueness to the work, but your 5 times as likely to have success in a Ward than in a Branch. I miss a branch, but the ward is better for missionary work.  Win some ya lose some, oh well, its the cycle. 

Read any interesting books lately? what are you reading now? Ive seen lots of cool books since Ive become more interested in Doctrine and such.

Dad, Ive changed loads, we can actually talk about church when I get back.  I always knew it was true, I just didnt care too much.  It sufficeth me to say, I do now.

Thanks for everything, your the best father I could have asked for.  I must have done something right in the schools of the pre mortal existance to fall into our family.  I Thank God. anyway, have a great week dad, love you.Elder MerrillAunt Carols cookies!On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM, Kurt Merrill <premierpaintinginc@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello my Irish Lad,We took the family to see the lights at temple square.  Debbi and her family were with us.  Sage included.  Sage has some friends from his soccer team from England and Ireland.  We were able to meet up with them and talk for a while about their countries, etc.. The one from Ireland, the red head named Daniel, was interesting.  Sage says Daniel is by far the best on the team and that he messed up his knee at the first game of the season and was unable to play another game.  They went on to have quite a losing season.  But fun.  Anyway this young man told us about Ireland and says he's from up by Belfast and considers himself British?  Apparently the folks who live in the upper part of Ireland don't play well with the folks that live down where you are at.  The boys from England said none of the young people go to church and if they do they are bullied.  Sad that a generation has been brought up to be secularists.Today I taught the HP Group lesson.  I decided to talk about missionary work and shared some of your insights and experiences.  Then I had the dads of missionaries tell the group about their sons missions and give us an Idea of how the work is going in each mission.  Also how their sons are developing and growing.  It was a really good meeting with Brother Green telling about Carter, who is in his last area and is doing very well.  Brother Sorenson was sharing some things about Shane; they seem to be flourishing in Washington State.  They taught 26 new discussions last week.  Shane in now in the office and has something to do with the fleet of cars for the mission.  Brother Williams shed some tears talking about the transformation of his son and how the work in Africa is flourishing.  Brother Christensens boy, Ryan will be home in January!  Can you believe that?  He has a baptism set up for this month.  Which is rare in his area.  His other son is in Texas and he is trying to re-activate some of the less actives.  An older man that they went to visit asked him if he knew Lloyd Christensen?  He said yes that is my grandfather.  Well the old guy told him that he felt like the lord sent the person who baptized him...sent his grandson to help him become active again.  Brother Buhler said that his son is in Georgia with three of his cousins and McKay Court.  He is doing well, is a zone leader and is working hard.  They all spoke of how their sons have developed greater faith, stronger testimonies of Christ and a love for the gospel and the scriptures.  I think Williams said that his son read, which he never did at home, he read 250 pages of Jesus the Christ in one day, when they were kept inside because of violence in their area.We have a new High Council rep for our ward.  A Bishop Cook from the 4th ward?  Do you know him or his kids?I hope you had a good week this last week.  I hope you will stay positive and do the best you can with all you have.  I always wonder who the Lord has prepared for Elder Merrill to meet and teach the restored gospel to?  I have wondered if you have opportunity to play the piano?  Or if you are still playing the guitar a bit?  How is life in a larger branch or ward?  Do you enjoy having more member to work with and support?Our ward will look much different when you get back?  Lots of new move in's.  We have three Renstroms in our ward now.  Johns brother and Dad and mom.  plus many other newbies.Have a great week!I love you,Dadps. went to my Brother Kent's daughters baptism yester day...Anna.  She was beautiful and it was a good experience.  Went over to their house after for some of Carols sugar cookies.  remember those?  Then Evan and Mom and I went to dinner in SL afterwards.  Sydnee had other plans so she was not able to be there...take care lad   

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment