Correspondence

To correspond with Elder Merrill you can email him at tanner.merrill@myldsmail.net he may not be able to email you back but he can write to you and he loves the letters.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Some Missions are like fishing in Colorado!


Hey mum,
 
I’m trying to take care of myself, it’s just so flipping cold and we are always running about outside.  Honestly, I miss Scotland and think about going back, Ireland is great but I connect with Scotland like I do with Utah.  By the way, read Isaiah 2:2 and know this, Utah translates to mean, top of the mountains.  Church is true!
I’m happy to hear Evan remembers me well; it does my heart good to think I had something of a good impression on the kids.  It’s the whole desire of my youth to have a positive influence on their lives, I made plenty of mistakes, I just hope their memories aren’t as good as mine when it comes to it ha-ha. 
 Remember, nothing does a child’s heart better than to see his parents praying aside the bed every night, despite arrogance and ignorance from my end, which I’m sure had you two worried, your influence and example was always there and was the SINGLE and ONLY thing, in some cases, that kept me on the right track desiring to do good.
I love you mom, thanks for everything, I hope one day I can feel as if I have paid back the kindness and sacrifice you’ve shown me, but something tells me that won’t ever come.  You’re amazing, and dad is alright too.  Have a great week, see you soon.

Elder Merrill

Ps. Evan has impressive taste in music, Elvis is Gospel Gold!


Dad,

Some missions are like fly fishing in the Colorado River.  You just cast and cast and you have success.  Some missions are like deep sea fishing in Alaska with a guide that has a shotgun, you just hold the rod and go through the motions and a big fish pops up every time. This mission is like fishing for tiny crabs dug deep into the cracks in the depths of the ocean of shark and eel infested waters, and once the crabs are caught, which requires diving deep and picking them by hand, the predators come out of their holes to do all they can to drag the crabs back down.  This mission is hard, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.  I am pleased to serve here, the difficulty and challenge is a witness to me that God knows I’m tough, but wants to make me tougher.  He knows I’m rough on the edges, and wants to smooth them out.  He knows my potential and has given me a job to do, and only through fishing in the deepest and darkest waters can I become the fisher of men that he has in store for me to become.  This caliber of refining could not happen in an "easy mission", it could not happen in any other mission.  The challenges I’ve faced in this mission have carved my soul and filled the gaps necessary to take me higher.  Your example took me to this point and will continue to take me higher.  Thanks, I’m out of time but I love you and appreciate all of your support and love.
The work will change with the times, but as we know, God never changes.  He knows the hearts and minds of his children, we can only work harder and harder and hope it is enough.  I feel successful; I have changed and awakened to the reality of our eternal situation. Love you, thanks again.  Have a great week.

Elder Merrill

 

Dear Sydnee,

Well you’re growing up, and I’m not there to see it, thanks for updating me I hope that life is great for you and that you’re happy. My mission is going well, and is going by very fast, I’ve done a lot of good and hard things and have dealt with many problems and had many light days, and many dark days.  The dark days have only driven me to come closer to my God and the best way to do that is to pray always! If we pray for every reason every day, we can surely live in this world, without being of the world. This is what God wants for us while we are here, remember, we are just passing through this life.  I love you Syd, keep making great choices, it does my heart more good than you could ever imagine to know my baby sister is accepting the outstretched hand of Jesus Christ that offers love and peace above all things, and salvation.   

Love you,

Elder Merrill

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment