Correspondence

To correspond with Elder Merrill you can email him at tanner.merrill@myldsmail.net he may not be able to email you back but he can write to you and he loves the letters.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 21, 2013


Family,

It’s so good to hear from all of you, I miss you and can’t wait to see you on Christmas.

Yeah, those KIWI things are wretched demonic little buggars. We don't have them and I hope above all things that we never get them in this mission. When I was dating Madeleine, she had one in her car, and whenever I drove it, that thing would just rail on me.  "Slow down, speed up! Aggressive braking! Use your blinker! SLOW DOWN!" I’d always yell back at it, "shut up KIWI!" Madi loved it, laughed all the time.  But KIWI and I never got along, it should accept the fact that I’m not a perfect driver, darn near to it, but not perfect.

We met some people on the street in front of the Tesco in Oban a couple weeks ago; a couple, both were very down on their luck, one having a terminal illness and both homeless.  We spoke for some time with them, and eventually asked if we could meet up with them again.  They proposed that meeting them in their cave in Dunollie probably wasn't a good environment, but that a few times a week they met at a soup kitchen in Oban.  A few days later we met them there and taught them, and we also met about half a dozen other people willing to listen and ask questions to what we had to say.  It was amazing and we have received many potentials from HOPE, we went there twice last week and are volunteering to work there next week.  Hopefully we will have success from meeting so many people that the Lord has prepared.   It’s very humbling to see so many people down and out, as they say, with so little, and hanging around with them can sometimes be sobering, and maybe not the best crowd, but Christ spent his life with those who were down and out, did he not?

Also this week, we had 5 people at church, despite inviting several people to come and getting many yeses.  A couple members were sick, and nobody besides a few showed up.   It’s difficult, even when we do get investigators into church, to make them understand that this church is God's kingdom on Earth, because yes the spirit is there but it’s simply hard for people to take a small room with a few people meeting around a wee table as the true Church of Jesus Christ.  I don't blame them, and I’m not discouraged.  If we get the right person, who is prepared and humbled before God, into church, and if they keep the commitments we ask of them then they will realize the magnitude of truth behind the small unit here in Oban.

It’s such a blessing to have such amazing parents with great testimonies of the Gospel and of this work, it is the true church and preaching Christ's Gospel is the most important work we have to do.  I’m grateful, and I want you to know that it because of your love and how you raised me, that I know God lives, and that he has called President Monson as a Prophet, and I am very aware of the importance of my calling, and that I was called by God and assigned by this prophet to serve this mission.  Your great example and exceptional love for me and for others is what got me here. 

Quick story, we were eating dinner the other day, around 7pm, and were sitting in the study room talking, when the something went amuck at our door.  Someone was jiggling the handle and trying to key their way in.  I grabbed my pen and a jacket (great defense alternative) and rushed the door opening it quickly..... And ill finish the story next week. 

For the package.... chicken in a biscuit is the only thing I can think of.  Wait a couple weeks to send it, in case I move to Ireland.  We get our call this next Sunday for moves. I’m pretty sure I’m staying though, because of my calling as DL.  The breakfast essentials mix is great, and the porridge was good.  I eat loads of porridge; I invented a recipe for it, spoonful of peanut butter, raspberries, blueberries, brown sugar. It’s the best breakfast ever. It’s getting really cold up here too; we will see how I survive.  The showers getting cold too. 

Thanks for everything you; I love you and miss you.  Have a great week,
Your son,
Elder Tanner Merrill

 

To his sister:
AHHHHHHH PUMPKIN COOKIEZZZZZZ??!!?! I am jealous; I haven't had one of those in ages.  Hope they are good.  Utah is great I miss it loads! You don't miss it till you leave it, but trust me sister; it’s the best place to be in the world, everyone, even in Scotland, wishes they could live in Utah. Seriously, I’m so happy I was raised there, and I will definitely raise my kids there.  Great state, god given land, why would you ever leave? Beats me. 

Last p day I played tennis for the first time in like 8 months.  It was a blast.  I’ve still got it!  You’d probably beat me.  Hey Syd, I love you and miss you loads, have a great week and keep being the amazing example to your wee brother and I that you are. This church is great because of the amazing youth like yourself who have such amazing faith and learn who God is when they are young.  It's also great because it’s the only true church and there are over 80,000 missionaries worldwide all proclaiming the same thing, come unto Christ, repent and be baptized, and if you endure to the end of your life, you will have happiness in this World and Eternal Life in the World to come.  The Church is true, Thomas S Monson is the Prophet of the living God, and you are the best sister ever.  All true.
America!
Elder Merrill

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment